Thursday, April 29, 2021

The Grand Finale

I want a new song, I said 

What kind, He asked 

One that I don’t have to sing all alone 

Where the range is limited by me

Where the sound is all mine 

Where the wave reaches its end 

And meets no one 

Where is the fun in that?

Wasn’t life meant to be a dance 

Of two 

A duet 

A jugalbandi 

I had always been told that was the final concert 

And yet I was never prepared for either 

Not a path of two, nor a life of one 

Was never taught to string in harmony

So I just sang alone

I’ve practiced and practiced

And perfected my performance 

I’ve learnt to be patient 

To hum in the back 

To not ask for the lead 

Or be too loud 

Can I now have the prestigious reward 

Of being tied to another 

Forever?


This is the renaissance 

The old melodies are played in halls 

Of haunted corridors and creaking floors 

Raise your voice 

And stand up tall 

Push yourself higher 

Till the sharp alto breaks snaps the cord of condition 

Push yourself harder

Till your own baritone resonates in your depths 

Embody them all

For at the end of the aria 

The song fades into the darkness 

And as you stand there 

Taking a bow 

And the lights go off

There is no other 

No comments:

Post a Comment