Monday, May 24, 2021

Rainy Days


Be practical, I was told 
A long life lies ahead that 
That needs money, security, a solid foundation 
No time to dance, no time to play
All of this won’t give you anything for the rainy day 


Sigh, oh sigh - these rainy days
When all I want to do is dance and play 
Splash the water with my feet 
And wet my chappals and splutter 
The muddy muck  from the urban river 
Onto your clean dry white canvas 

Does growing up mean I have to watch 
Little children from my window 
While I drink tea and eat the bhajiya 
And they live and jump, completely free
As the raindrops wet their little faces 
And light their hearts with such glee 
Oh what is this so called practicality 
When I was born to live completely free

Free from the bondages of what Ive been told 
Of the mirrors of the past and the dreams of a future
So secure that I can’t break past
The tight  ropes that tie me to this cast 
This mould of who I’m supposed to be
Oh when, when, can I just be me 

This rain, when it comes down in its glory 
Brightening up my sunniest days 
With pregnant clouds, thunder and deep, dark skies 
Giving life to every sentient being 
I leave my comfort - I come to dance with thee
Set me free, set me free

No comments:

Post a Comment